Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

A "big boy room" makeover

I've been working on creating a "big boy room" for a while now. I have a million different things pinned on Pinterest and was starting to become overwhelmed, so I decided to make my own version of a "design board" or "inspiration board". I included lots of the things that were already in their room, and added a few extras to tie it all together.

1. I'm super lucky in that my sister works for the company that makes Hiccups kids bedlinen!
 

2. This red metal letter "O" is from a vintage marquee sign, purchased on eBay.
 
3. I love, love, love everything Sarah Jane Studios does. I'm especially fond of the "Be" art print set.
 
4. Ikea's Bekvam spiceracks are just so versatile! And at only $2.50 each, who can resist!
 
5. This linen was a purchase many moons ago. I don't believe the brand is in existence anymore.
 
6. The Ikea Hemnes Linen Cupboard only comes in red now, I believe, but the boys have a yellow one in their room serving as a bookcase.
 
7. Again from Ikea, the Snoig Desk Lamp makes for a perfect bedside reading lamp.
 
8. I think every little persons’ room should have some Belle & Boo!
 
9. Of course some art from my little company Love a Rhino.
 
10 & 15. ABC Throw Pillows from Land of Nod.
 
11. A little birdhouse from Provincial Living
 
12. The Ikea Hemnes Chest of 6 Drawers is great for storing their clothes.
 
13. This rug was from Land of Nod. The exact design isn't available anymore, but it's a great site to look at for some gorgeous options. Shipping actually wasn't too bad either.
 
14. Jasper and Ruby is a great etsy store full of gorgeous water colour illustrations I couldn't go past this adorable dachshund!

During this project I've discovered a (possibly unhealthy) love of spray painting.
I've painted frames and shelves and baskets, oh my!

I've had the ABC Throw Cushions from Land of Nod pinned for months, but somehow never noticed that they were different shades of green until I'd put this board together.
I'm fine with things not matching (in fact I prefer it that way, for the most part) but they need to look purposely mismatched.
I decided to look into alternatives (after briefly considered sewing my own) and that's when I stumbled across the gorgeous cushion covers available at Romeo and Juliet Design on Etsy. I was drawn to their bright, bold colours, and modern designs. I was lucky enough to buy during their Easter sale and scored 25% off!
These are the 2 designs I went with.
They arrived last week, and after a quick trip to Spotlight I was ready to start the process of "initialing" them.
This is the end result.
Not perfect, but they're ok if you don't look too closely.
And without further ado, the final result.

I think I'd still like to replace the fabric in the door on their sidetable, and perhaps add a bunting to their picture wall, but for the moment this will suffice.
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my it all looks amazing! You've done such a great job! I've just started a spare/computer room makeover that seems to have stalled at the painting stage, but seem all your wonderful bits and pieces has given me a little kick to keep going! I've been following you on Instagram for a while so I've seen some of these things on there but it's great to see it all together! Great job :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Lauren! It was seeing your inspiration board- and all your spray painting- on Instagram that finally got me moving on (two of) my boys' shared room (the paint has been in the shed waiting since we finished their little brother's nursery!)
    I'm obsessed with gallery walls now and yours looks fantastic. The balance of frames and colours is perfect and your art work choices are super cute!
    Thanks for the motivation. Will let you know how my spray painting turns out!
    Sarah
    stayathometerritory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous! I can't wait to have a place of our own to decorate.
    As for the side table door fabric, I'm unsure to. It's fairly 'mellow' compared to the rest of the room, but at the same time, because of the side table's colour, I think it's okay. That being said, I could see some cool bold stripped fabric being in its place.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs